Updated: Jun 29, 2020
North Alabama is famous for its mayonnaise based bbq sauce, known as White Sauce. Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Decatur, Alabama is where they say the sauce originated. See, White sauce is not like a red sauce in that you dunk the chicken in it, set it back on the grill for a few minutes and then the color disappears, leaving a glistening, moist piece of chicken. My wife introduced me to it when we first moved here and I've been trying to perfect it ever since. This recipe is where the University of Que It's Just Awesome Sauce (soon to be released) was developed and has been a hit since then.
1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Sea Salt
3/4 gallon water
University of Que It's Just Awesome Sauce
Bone In, Skin On Chicken Breast
1. Mix 1/4 cup of Quad, Light Brown Sugar, Sea Salt and Cold Water in a non-reactive container big enough to hold your chicken pieces.
2. Trim excess skin and any loose bones and fat from the chicken pieces
3. Place chicken in brine and refrigerate for 3 hours.
4. After three hours, rub a light coat of Lotta Bull unBULLeavable All Purpose Rub followed by the University of Que The Quad All Purpose Rub on the bone side and let sit for 5 minutes.
5. After 5 minutes, flip and repeat the rub layers.
6. Let the chicken sit on the counter and sweat for 15 minutes.
7. Place chicken onto a preheated cooker (we used a Sweet Smoke Q QDS X2) with some apple wood for smoke set for a direct cook. (With a can cooker, the meat is further from the direct heat than most cookers, so keep that in mind if you are using a different cooker)
8. Cook chicken for 1 hour, and test the internal temperature in the thickest part. We are looking for 165 degrees internal. If not there after an hour, keep cooking until it reaches 165 degrees.
9. When the chicken reaches 165 degrees, dunk the entire piece in The University of Que It's Just Awesome Sauce and put back on for two minutes.
10. Repeat dunking after the 2 minutes for another 2 minutes.
11. Remove and slice and add more white sauce as you desire.